Annette M. Barber is an experienced employment and HR attorney. She earned her Bachelor of Science in Organizational Behavior from University of San Francisco and received her Juris Doctorate from Southwestern University School of Law. During law school, Ms. Barber participated in the Moot Court Honors Program. After law school, Ms. Barber entered private practice in the Los Angeles area with a focus on representing employers in employment litigation. In 2001, Ms. Barber left private practice and became employed with a global security company of 100,000 U.S. employees as an employment law attorney and then as Corporate Vice President directing HR Compliance nationwide for all 50 states, Puerto Rico and Guam. After 17 successful years as a corporate lawyer, Ms. Barber joined the firm as Special Counsel.
Ms. Barber’s expertise includes:
- Providing employment law advice and counsel on all areas of employment law, including hiring, performance management, training, compensation, and termination.
- Developing in-house compliance programs and performing human resources audits to ensure compliance with all employment laws including EEO, AA, FCRA, Ban the Box, Wage and Hour and I-9 compliance.
- Conducting and managing workplace investigations, responding to discrimination complaints, and representing companies at administrative agency hearings, fact findings, mediations and conciliations.
- Recommending strategies to minimize liability including ethics hotlines, workplace violence prevention and insider threat programs.
- Creating and implementing company policies, handbooks and employee communications including informative and topical articles for in-house magazines.
- Creating and presenting customized workplace training programs and presentations, including such topics as Sexual Harassment Prevention, Coaching and Counseling, Pregnancy and Lactation Accommodation, How to Conduct an Investigation, FMLA Compliance, ADA Compliance, Religious Accommodation, Preventing Transgender Discrimination, Bullying in the Workplace, Wage and Hour Training for Supervisors.
- Creating employment agreements, consultant agreements and severance packages.
- Advising and assisting with OFCCP compliance.
Professional and Community Affiliations (Past and Present):
- California State Bar, Labor and Employment Law Section Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section Member
- Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM)
- Association of Workplace Investigators (AWI)
- PIHRA, Burbank/Glendale Chapter
- Class Facilitator, Chrysalis
J.D., Southwestern University School of Law, 1992
- Moot Court Honors Program
B.S., Organizational Behavior, University of San Francisco, 1986
California State Bar, 1992
State of California
Central District of California