Barry A. Bradley, is the firm’s Managing Partner. Prior to founding the firm with Tom Gmelich, he served as a Deputy District Attorney for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, Hardcore Gang Prosecution Division, where he had over thirty jury trials (including numerous murder trials), countless bench trials and preliminary hearings. For nearly three decades, Mr. Bradley has applied his law enforcement background with marked effectiveness to civil litigation and trials, representing private security and business industries, both in the courts and in administrative proceedings. He serves as general corporate counsel to numerous businesses throughout the State. Barry also supervises the firm’s attorneys in the litigation of their cases and legal advice provided to the firm’s clients.
- Business & Commercial Law
- Employment Law — Employer
- Litigation & Appeals
- Personal Injury — Defense
- Public Entity — Defense
- Private Security Companies
- Security Guard Defense
- General Civil Litigation
Professional and Community Affiliations (Past and Present):
- Law Enforcement and Private Security Conference of L.A. (LEAPS) Board Advisor and Sponsorship Chair since its inception 2000 – Present
- International Association for Healthcare Security & Safety – Past Board Member, Greater Los Angeles Chapter
- ASIS-International – Legal Advisor to SFV Chapter – Member since 1993
- Glendale Police & Private Security Partnership – Past Board Member and Founding Member
- California Association of Licensed Security Agencies, Guards &Associates (CALSAGA) – Legal Advisor since its inception
- Los Angeles Police Museum – Legal Counsel
- American Youth Soccer Association (AYSO), Region 88 – Past Board Member, Coach, Referee
- District Attorney Alumni Association, Los Angeles County – current Board Member
Mr. Bradley has lectured throughout the nation to various security associations, private security companies, security departments and corporations (including Exxon, Hewlett-Packard, Kaiser Permanente, Bristol-Meyers Squibb, and Kraft General Foods, Inc., Dignity Health) on topics pertaining to preventative documentation, risk management and increased training.
He has been a featured speaker at several annual and regional seminars for ASIS International and the California Association of Licensed Security Agencies, Guards & Associates (CALSAGA), a non-profit organization dedicated to increasing standards and training in the security industry, and the National Association of Security Companies (NASCO). Mr. Bradley’s lecture topics have included: legal updates affecting the security industry, avoiding employment lawsuits (wage and hour claims and class actions, sexual harassment prevention, and policy manual knowledge), minimizing exposure in negligent security cases, and business contract issues.
- Maria D. v. Westec Residential Security, Inc. 85 Cal. App. 4th 125:
The California Court of Appeal held that an alleged rape committed by a uniformed security officer while on duty is outside of the course and scope of employment, thus shielding the corporation from respondeat superior (vicarious) liability.
- Borg-Warner Protective Services Corporation dba Wells Fargo Guard Services v. Superior Court 75 Cal.App.4th 1203:
The California Court of Appeal ruled that the State’s Private Security Services Act section addressing a security company’s obligations still allows the company to assert the defense that it is not liable for its employees’ actions committed outside the course and scope of employment.
- AV-Preeminent Peer Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Southern California Super Lawyers — for the past 11 consecutive years – Business Litigation
- CALSAGA Security Professional Lifetime Achievement Award 2011
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, CA, Juris Doctorate, 1986
- San Diego State University, San Diego, CA, 1983 B.S. – Criminal Justice Administration (with Distinction)
- Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden, studies in macroeconomics, criminology, advanced statistical methodology, 1981-1982
- California, All Courts — December 1986
- United States District Courts:
- Northern District of California
- Central District of California
- Eastern District of California
- Southern District of California
- SCUBA – Advanced Certification
- Piano & keyboards – Playing jazz, blues, and anything in-between
- Pets – Includes dogs, turtles, fish
- Black Belt – Shodan, Karate
- Married with three children to Blanca Bradley – who puts up with his music playing